Taking our Albin Vega to Bahia Honda

Bahia Honda & Old Railroad Bridge

Well the wind is out of the southeast and east for the next few days. Temps are forecast to be in the upper 70’s and mostly sunny. We’re planning to go to Bahia Honda State Park for the weekend.

It should be a two to three hour sail from where we are currently anchored in Boot Key Harbor. The park has good facilities and cell-phone signal (e.g. internet access), so we will be all set.

Our friends on s/v Major Change say that they plan to come and join us, which would be the first time their boat has been off the mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor since they tied up to it months ago. Other friends may take the bbus or drive cars down to the park to join us and fly some kites and try some kite boarding if the winds are right.

The anchorage at the park is only “protected” from East to South winds, and there is a decent tidal current that runs through the channel. Also the anchorage is between an old railroad bridge (see photo above) and the highway (route 1), so there isn’t too much room if you drag anchor.

The benefits of dealing with the difficulties are that you get access to the beautiful beaches, tiki huts, picnic tables, bathrooms, and showers. If the winds are good, we might even get to try kite-surfing!

Notice: compact(): Undefined variable: limits in /home/whcadmin/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 853

Notice: compact(): Undefined variable: groupby in /home/whcadmin/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 853

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.