Revised plan

Got new information by radio from some Quebecois guinea pigs that went out before us, and we have revised our plan. The sea swells are still built up from the last 24 hours of 30 knot winds from the sw, which means they are right on the nose. Now the winds are nw at 20, which is great, but it would be a powerful run right into strong swell chop on the nose for all day racing to get in before dark. No thanks. Rather get a stick in the eye.

So we have decided to wait until tomorrow morning very early to take off. Like 3:00am early. The idea is to let the chop and winds settle down a bit so we dont beat ourselves up more than necessary. The latest weather report now looks like the winds would blow us all the way to Norfolk in 28-37 hours straight from here in Cape May. That would put us into Norfolk in one run with no stopover in Ocean City MD, which means that we wont have to deal with navigating that inlet and anchoring inside there. Inlets and anchoring are often the most stressful parts of the passage, whereas just sailing along in nice weather can be almost boring and mundane by comparison.

I dont know about you, but I am not a stress lover. Sure, I’ll rise to meet the occasion when it comes, but if I can avoid the stress then I will. The trouble is that we just pulled up the dinghy and strapped it down on deck partially deflated for the trip. So now we are stuck on the sailboat and cant get off unless we undo all that work we just did! That should teach us to make our final go/dont go decision BEFORE stowing the dinghy!


I guess we can use this unforeseen opportunity to clean the barnacles off the bottom of the dighy! Woo Hoo! This is the life! 😉 Barnacle cleaners unite!

Meanwhile Lala is being fantastically productive on her new loom. What an awesome loom it is for a boat too. Just feel the awesomeness:

– Capt’n K & Lala

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *